About me Topic 4

Welcome to week 4s topic, Me. This week is a write up about me as a designer, how I am starting out with my new career path in graphic design and some of my history.



I am a current student at Media Design School (MDS) studying in Graphic design. I am interested in comic books, video games, art, and miniature painting. I have studied the Bachelor's degree in Creative Technology majoring in Game Art at MDS. The bachelor's course taught me to work as part of a development team, under tight deadlines.

I am confident in both traditional and digital drawing, using pencil, paint and Photoshop. I know how to use 3D programs such as Autodesk Maya, 3DSMax and ZBrush where I have created and animated 3D models for video games.

I completed the Bachelor's course in 2016, I found work afterwards at KFC, Boston wardrobes and later on at Gunnersens. My experience in working at these places taught me a lot about how various workplaces operate and how the various roles work together to get work done. While working at the different places of occupation I have met and worked with many different people from many different backgrounds. I have come to grow in understanding and appreciation for people from different backgrounds and cultures.

I have always been interested in design and problem-solving. I enjoy looking for ways to grow and advance my knowledge in all aspects of my life. This can be by learning new techniques and skills in a program or learning more about the theory and history of topics such as design and art.

Starting up my studies at Media Design School has opened me up to a whole new world of possibilities of learning and experiences, there are a lot of areas I see that are interesting, such as the use of different fonts and how they can be interpreted, the deeper meaning behind colour and form in logos and the need for more in-depth design thinking. Before starting my Graphic Design degree at MDS I started looking at courses and classes on Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, as I have not used these programs in my Game Art course.


In my searching, I came across 2 channels on YouTube that focused on Graphic Design and design processes. The main influencers from YouTube that I have taken an interest to are Chris Do, from The Futur and Blind, and Tom Satori, from Satori Graphics. By watching their videos and taking in all they had to offer and say about graphic design I started gaining knowledge about the design world I was planning on entering. I knew I needed to start delving into graphic design techniques, jargon and the programs that are frequently used before starting with the Graduate Diploma course at MDS. I enjoy learning new things, it brings happiness to know that I am progressing through life and gaining knowledge and insight from the people and world around me.
Personally, I feel that I have a good basic understanding of design principles however I know that I have a lot to learn. My current struggles with a design brief I am working on, it involves designing a logo and business card for a music band, is designing an identity that incorporates Christianity and music in a simple design. My struggle is to keep the design simple; I know that good designs should be simple, however, I feel the need to make the design more complex. 

When my studies here at MDS is complete I will aim to work as a full-time graphic designer, either in-house or at an out-house agency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logo Evolutions Topic 3

Topic 6 Icons and symbols

Topic 5 Celebrity Study and Persona Creation